Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Shrove Tuesday

Today is Shrove Tuesday, so farewell to meat - Carne vale!
I try to avoid it during Lent, unless of course someone gives me some or I have a guest or two.
Anything interesting you can do with vegetable?

Congratulations to those of you who were "shriven" , went to confession, today.

In England we traditionally eat pancakes, in some parts of the country today is known as Pancake Day. The photograph shows a traditional pancake race: ladies running whilst tossing these commestibles. They, pancakes not ladies, have come to resemble French crepes, thin and dull. Traditionally I suspect they were more like a Spanish omelette, containing all those things forbidden in Lent, meat cheese, butter, oil etc., or maybe they were just stuffed with them.

In Greece I am told an American fast food chain called McDonalds offer a McLent Burger, which contains none of the traditionally prescribed foods.

6 comments:

Paulinus said...

I take it you are eating fish? I have some good fish recipes I'll post over the next few weeks.

Fr Ray Blake said...

Fish! such decadent luxury in Lent, Paulinus!
Give us recipes for gruel and skilly!

Anonymous said...

The Jews for whom we pray wish each other well over the Fast. I send the same wishes to you Father, with your gruel and skilly.
What is skilly?

ServusMariaeN said...

Father,
I've been a vegetarian for quite a few years now so I can give you many wonderful recipes to prepare. I eat alot of lentils in various forms. I don't know your email but mine is servusmariaen@aol.com
Marshall

gemoftheocean said...

Vegetables? Let the rot and throw at the nearest politician!

Bonnie said...

Two of my faves:

Spaghetti squash with red sauce, topped with sauted yellow squash and zuccini.

Parsnips, carrots, yams and butternut squash chopped up into 1" pieces, cover with evoo, salt and pepper. Stick in 400 degree oven for 1/2 hour - hour (depending on amount of veggies.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...